Back in the old days, mattress shoppers had to go to a mattress store – they would actually get in the car, drive across town and, finally, deal with very pushy mattress salesperson. While those days aren’t exactly behind us, there is now a much easier way to buy a quality mattress – online!
In the past decade, online mattresses have become extremely popular – while mattress customers used to be worried by the prospect of a bed-in-a-box, there are now numerous reputable online mattresses to choose from.
Since they are so popular, it may be difficult to find the best online mattress – fear not – I have selected nine of the best online mattresses. We’ve got memory foam, innerspring, and hybrid mattresses – something for every type of sleeper – check it out!
The Best Online Mattresses
- Best Luxury Mattress – WinkBeds
- Most Comfortable Mattress – Layla
- Best Innerspring Mattress – Saatva
- Best For Lightweight Sleepers – Nolah
- Best Value Mattress – Studio by Leesa
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Bear Hybrid
- Best Customizable Mattress – Helix
- Best Memory Foam Mattress – Amerisleep
- Best For Combination Sleepers – Casper
There really is no one perfect online mattress for everyone. We have broken down our top picks based on construction, comfort, and sleeping position so you can narrow down your options and find the one that is the best fit for you.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, try taking our mattress quiz to receive tailored recommendations for your preferences.
There’s nothing quite like sleeping on a hotel mattress – support, comfort, and the feeling of luxury can be truly irresistible – those customers who want to bring that specific experience home should consider one of the WinkBeds mattresses. WinkBeds offers four luxury innerspring mattresses with different firmnesses – from Soft to Plus, their mattress for heavy people.
All of the WinkBeds models contain two layers of coils and a pillow top – I personally reviewed the WinkBeds Luxury Firm model – it features the perfect balance of comfort and support that should be very attractive to back sleepers. Side sleepers should also like this model or could go for the Soft model if they want even more pressure relief.
The WinkBeds mattresses also contain very durable materials that should stand up to many years of use – these are not the most affordable mattresses, but they are a solid long-term investment.
Those who are looking for a little luxury and like the feel of an innerspring mattress should find just what they are looking for with one of the WinkBeds options.
What Makes WinkBeds Stand Out?
- They WinkBeds mattresses offer the feeling of a luxury hotel mattress with high-end components.
- The mattresses feature two sets of coils and should be able to support even much heavier weights.
- WinkBeds offers four different firmnesses for their innerspring mattresses, making it easy for customers to find exactly what they are looking for.
- The two sets of coils allow for a large amount of airflow through the mattress, so the WinkBeds mattresses should not be sleeping too hot.
Read the full WinkBeds review
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below.
The Layla is an extremely innovative mattress – it is actually flippable and features both a soft side and a firm side – I am personally an enormous fan of the soft side and find it to be one of the most comfortable sleeping surfaces I have ever experienced.
This comfort comes from a 3″ layer of soft memory foam; the majority of people should sink into the mattress and feel no significant pressure on their shoulders and hips. What’s great is that stomach sleepers who need additional support can simply flip the mattress to get a firmer sleeping surface; this side features only 1″ of memory foam, so it is particularly supportive.
The memory foam found on both sides of the mattress is infused with copper – this is a conductor and will draw heat away from people as they sleep – overheating is a major issue with many memory foam mattresses, but it shouldn’t be a major issue with the Layla. Copper is also anti-microbial and should keep the top of the mattress clean and free of mold and mildew.
Mattress shoppers who are looking for two firmness options in one mattress and want some seriously comfortable memory foam should take a look at the Layla.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is one of the most comfortable bed-in-a-box mattresses on the market; it features very pressure-relieving memory foam.
- The mattress is flippable, so customers can choose from both a firm side and soft side; the firm side should be supportive enough for stomach sleeping, and the soft side should be comfortable enough for side sleeping.
- The Layla should not be sleeping hot; the copper infusion will assist with heat dissipation so that sleepers do not overheat at night.
Read the full Layla mattress review
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get up to $200 off a Layla mattress (plus $300 of accessories) by clicking the link below.
The two previous entries are all-foam mattresses; to give those innerspring fans out there, I thought I would mention the Saatva, one of the best innerspring mattresses. The Saatva features not one but two layers of coils, a thick layer of support coils as well as a layer of micro-coils – on top of the mattress, there is a plush Euro-style pillow top.
The Saatva combines comfort and support in a truly impressive way; the pillow top should provide excellent pressure relief while the support coils hold up the body. This design makes the Saatva a fantastic fit for all three sleeping positions – back sleepers should get the perfect amount of contouring and support, side sleepers should feel great pressure relief, and stomach sleepers should experience great overall support.
The mattress should also be satisfactory for larger sleepers – those who are on the heavier side require more support than lighter people, but the Saatva’s supportive coils should be up to the task.
Combination sleepers of many sizes are really going to love the comfort and support of the versatile Saatva mattress.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- The Saatva features two layers of coils that will provide excellent support and contouring for sleepers of many sizes.
- The soft pillow top adds a level of comfort and plushness to the Saatva mattress, offering some great pressure relief for side sleepers.
- The Saatva should be a cooler-sleeping mattress; the two layers of coils allow for a great deal of airflow.
- The mattress contains some very durable materials, making this a great long-term investment.
Read the full Saatva mattress review
Saatva is a great value that happens to be both comfortable and supportive at the same time. You can save $200 on a Saatva mattress simply by clicking the link below.
The Saatva may be an excellent choice for heavier people, but what about those lighter people out there? Well, that’s why I want to discuss the Nolah, the perfect mattress for light- and medium-weight sleepers who don’t require so much support.
While the Nolah should be a good option for lighter back sleepers, its pressure-relieving abilities are really what make the mattress stand out – the Nolah features a layer of AirFoam, a proprietary alternative to memory foam – it is designed to relieve pressure even better than standard memory foam.
Based on our pressure map testing, the AirFoam does offer superior pressure-relief; while I worry that larger side sleepers could bottom out on the mattress, light and medium-weight side sleepers should feel no significant pressure on their shoulders and hips.
The Nolah is also more affordable than many mattresses on this list so lighter people who want to save some money should check it out!
What Makes The Nolah Stand Out?
- The Nolah features proprietary AirFoam which promises even better pressure relief than memory foam.
- As long as they are not too heavy, side sleepers should experience fantastic pressure relief on the Nolah.
- Nolah is one of the best mattresses for lightweight people.
- The Nolah’s AirFoam does not contain the heat-trapping chemicals found in most memory foams; it should not cause people to sleep too hot.
- The Nolah is a high-quality mattress sold for a value price; it offers excellent comfort without breaking the bank.
Read the full Nolah mattress review
Nolah has a VERY comfortable mattress that is especially good for side sleepers. You can get up to $300 off the Nolah by clicking the link below.
Shopping online for a mattress, it is always a fantastic idea to look for the best value possible. Now, when we speak of value, it’s not just looking for the most affordable mattress possible; it’s also about getting the most bang for the buck.
The Leesa mattress is a fantastic value because it is affordable for an online, all-foam mattress (under $1000 for a Queen), and it is also a high-quality mattress with a number of excellent features. First off, the mattress features proprietary LSA200 foam which is more responsive than memory foam and makes it very easy to move around. Second, it is more breathable and memory foam, making it an excellent fit for hot sleepers who still want a foam mattress.
This is a medium-firm mattress with an excellent balance of comfort and support, so it is a particularly good fit for back sleepers who like a foam feel. Also, side sleepers should find the mattress to be comfortable and will experience a good amount of pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
What Makes The Leesa Stand Out?
- The Leesa mattress features high-quality materials but is still sold for a value price.
- The LSA200 foam is a breathable and responsive alternative to standard memory foam.
- The Leesa mattress should be an exceptional match for side sleepers and back sleepers.
Read the full Leesa mattress review
Leesa is a very comfortable mattress that I think a lot of people are going to really like. You can get up to $200 off the Leesa mattress and get 2 free down pillows simply by clicking the link below.
Best Hybrid Mattress
As I mentioned above, memory foam has its drawbacks – namely, it can sleep hot and make people feel like they are trapped in their mattress – neither of these should be a significant issue on the Bear Hybrid because it contains premium comfort foam that is more responsive and cooling than memory foam.
Being a hybrid mattress, it also contains 8″ of supportive coils; combined with the comfort foam, this provides a fantastic balance of comfort and support. This balance is usually what back sleepers should be looking for in a mattress; it’s no surprise that the Bear Hybrid is one of my favorite mattresses for back sleepers. The Bear Hybrid’s comfort foam also offers exceptional pressure relief; side sleepers should get all the pressure relief they require while lying on the Bear Hybrid.
All of the Bear mattresses feature a Celliant cover – this fiber has been proven to assist with cooling – since the comfort is breathable and the coils also promote airflow through the mattress, the Bear Hybrid should be sleeping quite cool. Also, Celliant was designed to promote blood flow and speed up recovery for athletes and active people.
There really is a lot to love about the Bear Hybrid mattress; it is an online mattress with a great balance of comfort and support.
What Makes The Bear Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Bear Hybrid has an exceptional balance of comfort and support that should work for both back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The Celliant cover assists with cooling and should promote blood flow as well; this should speed up recovery for athletes and active people.
- The comfort foam is more responsive and breathable than standard memory foam, so it should be easy to move around on the Bear Hybrid without sleeping hot.
Read the full Bear Hybrid mattress review
The Bear Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers. Mattress customers can get 20% off the Bear Hybrid and $250 worth of accessories by clicking the link below and using code BF20 at checkout.
Best Customizable Mattress
Buying an online mattress is difficult because there seem to be a hundred things to keep in mind – Helix is here to make it much easier to buy a mattress because they provide customers with flexibility and options.
When shopping for a Helix mattress, customers can do one of two things – they can choose from one of Helix’s extensive line of mattresses or take a quiz on their website – Helix will then recommend a mattress based specifically on those answers.
They offer numerous firmnesses and feels depending on what customers are looking for – couples can even customize each side of the mattress so that both partners get the comfort or support that they require. Those who have a bit more money to spend and want to splurge on luxury can also opt for one of Helix’s Luxe upgrades – this adds zoning to the coils as well as a Tencel cover that will improve breathability and cooling.
So, those who are feeling confused by all the options out there should consider a Helix mattress – they will take the guesswork out of the equation.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- Helix offers a variety of mattress models for customers to choose from; they have very soft mattresses, very firm mattresses, and even a mattress made for larger people.
- If customers take Helix’s sleep quiz, the company will send a mattress with the ideal firmness and feel.
- The Helix is one of the best mattresses for couples.
- Luxe upgrades are also available for every Helix mattress; this adds more comfort, cooling, and luxury.
Read the full Helix mattress review
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; click the link below to save up to $200 on a Helix mattress and get 2 Free Dream Pillows.
Best Memory Foam Mattress
Fans of memory foam who want to find the exact right firmness should check out the Amerisleep mattresses – they offer five mattress models that range from extremely firm (AS1) to very soft (AS5).
I personally enjoyed my experience with the Amerisleep AS4 mattress – it is toward the softer end of their mattress line and contains a 4″ memory foam layer! This construction makes the Amerisleep AS4 ideal for side sleepers – they should sink into that soft memory foam and feel the pressure on their shoulders and hips melt away. Those combination sleepers who need more of a balance of comfort and support can also take a look at the Amerisleep AS3, another mattress that I quite enjoyed.
While all of the Amerisleep mattresses contain memory foam in their comfort layer, none of them should be sleeping too hot – this is because Amerisleep’s memory foam is open-celled and bio-based – this makes the foam more breathable and there are even channels cut into the mattress to promote airflow.
Sleepers shouldn’t be getting stuck in the Amerisleep mattresses, no matter how thick their comfort layers are; their memory foam is more responsive, so it should make it easier to move around and switch positions at night.
So, memory foam lovers should find exactly what they are looking for with one of the Amerisleep mattresses.
What Makes Amerisleep Stand Out?
- The company offers five mattress models with various firmnesses; the AS1 is their firmest, and the AS5 is their softest.
- The Amerisleep AS4 is one of their softest models and one of our picks for the best soft mattresses for side sleeping.
- The Amerisleep mattresses should not be trapping body heat, causing sleepers to get sweaty at night.
- The mattresses contain memory foam but are responsive enough to ensure sleepers don’t feel stuck and have issues moving around.
Read the full Amerisleep AS4 review
Amerisleep is a perfect choice if you want a memory foam mattress but also want to sleep cool. You can get 30% off Amerisleep mattresses and 2 free pillows simply by clicking the link below and using code CM30.
Best For Combination Sleepers
If we’re talking about innovative online mattresses, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the Casper; this is easily one of the most popular bed-in-a-box mattresses currently available online.
The Casper features a proprietary Zoned Support system that makes the mattress a fantastic match for all three sleeping positions; the center of the Casper’s transition layer is firmer than the head and foot of the mattress, which will make the mattress feel firmer and more supportive when people are back sleeping and stomach sleeping.
The mattress will also feel softer when people are side sleeping; the shoulder zone is significantly softer than the lumbar zone, so sleepers should experience fantastic pressure relief on their shoulders.
The Casper features an extremely comfortable balanced foam feel that feels like a mix of memory foam and latex foam; people will get nice pressure-relief, but they should have no issues moving around on the mattress.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The Casper boasts a proprietary zoned construction that offers support and comfort for all three sleeping positions.
- Side sleepers should feel almost no pressure on their shoulders and hips when they are lying on the Casper.
- The mattress contains breathable foams, so it should not be sleeping particularly hot.
- The Casper has a balanced foam feel that shouldn’t make sleepers feel like they are stuck or trapped in the mattress; it should be very easy for them to move around.
Read the full Casper mattress review
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can get 10% off a Casper mattress when you click below.
Heavyweight Sleepers – Over 230 lbs
Size and weight are always attributes people should consider when looking for a mattress – something that would be an excellent match for someone of my size (5’9” and 160 lbs) might not work for someone who is larger. That’s why I asked Marten, the largest member of our team (6’7” and 250 lbs) to try these mattresses out for himself.
Out of these nine mattresses, five really stand out as good options for heavier sleepers like myself. First off, I am an enormous fan of the Saatva mattress; it features two sets of steel coils that provide enough support for a back sleeper of my weight. At the same time, the pillow top relieves pressure on my shoulder and hips while I am side sleeping.
As Joe mentioned, Helix is all about customization; the company offers numerous options to fit a variety of sleepers. They even offer the Helix Plus, which is designed with larger people in mind -it features supportive coils and a premium comfort layer as well – I found it to be a good match for all three sleeping positions.
WinkBeds offers four firmness options, and one is made just for larger people; the WinkBeds Plus is a very supportive and comfortable mattress that works for every position.
The Bear Hybrid also features very supportive coils that can handle heavier weights and a soft comfort layer; it was a fantastic match for back and side sleeping.
Lastly, the Amerisleep AS4 mattress is a particularly good match for heavier side sleepers; it features an extremely thick comfort layer that should relieve pressure on the shoulders and hips.
What Are Online Mattresses?
Rather than having to go into a mattress store, now you can buy your mattress online from the convenience of your home. Bed-in-a-box mattresses make this possible.
Popular online mattress companies like Casper and Purple have innovated the mattress buying game by compressing and rolling a mattress into a box that can easily be delivered to your door. Memory foam mattresses are very common in the online mattress world, but you can also purchase latex, hybrid, and innerspring mattresses online!
Shopping Online Vs. In-Stores
There are a few pros and cons to buying your mattress online. One of the major drawbacks is that you typically won’t get the chance to try your mattress in a store before you buy it. Some companies have a few brick and mortar locations, but for the most part, buying a mattress online means you’re buying a bed you haven’t had the chance to touch.
Despite this, there are many benefits to buying a mattress online. Even though you don’t get a chance to try it in a store, many online mattress companies offer generous sleep trial periods. During a sleep trial, you usually have around 100 nights to sleep on your mattress risk-free. If you decide the mattress isn’t right for you during that time, most companies offer free returns and full refunds. (Sleep trial policies vary by company.)
Because of sleep trial periods, you really get a much more extended “testing period” with your mattress than you would in a store. Plus, you get to really test it in action by sleeping on it each night instead of just quickly laying on a mattress in a store.
Another benefit of shopping online vs. in-stores for a mattress is the money savings. Mattress store prices are inflated to account for a salesperson’s commission on the sale. Online mattress companies cut out the middleman and ship direct-to-consumer, so you can pay less for your mattress. You also can’t deny the convenience factor of being able to shop from your couch and compare many models from many brands all in one spot.
RELATED: Amerisleep vs Casper
How To Shop For An Online Mattress
When shopping for an online mattress, customers really shouldn’t just be clicking away – they should think about the following factors when deciding on what online mattress is best.
By Mattress Type
When it comes to looking for the best type of online mattress, shoppers should think about the materials, feel, and durability of the mattress.
- Materials. There are a wide range of materials used to make online mattresses. You can choose between foam/latex mattresses, innerspring mattresses, or hybrid mattresses that are made with a combination of materials. Some sleepers may even have a specific preference to shop for products made with natural materials, in which case those shoppers may want to look for an organic mattress. Some people may sleep hot and want to shop for cooling mattresses with breathable materials.
- Feel preferences. Online mattresses come in a variety of feels – customers can select a soft memory foam mattress with a slow-moving feel or they could choose something with more of a traditional innerspring mattress feel. No feel is actually better than another; it really depends on what feel someone is looking for.
- Mattress durability. Mattresses are an investment and it is important to know how long that investment is going to last – will the mattress be useful for 10 years or will it start to break down in a few months? To find a durable, longer-lasting mattress, pay attention to the density of the foams and maybe consider something with durable latex – also, in general, innerspring and hybrid mattresses are going to last a bit longer than an all-foam mattress.
By Body Type
When shopping for a mattress, it is particularly important to find something that will be supportive enough for one’s own body weight; while a certain mattress could be the perfect match for a lightweight person, that same mattress might not be supportive enough for a larger person.
Larger people usually need to find a mattress with coils and higher density materials while lighter people can select a mattress with less supportive materials. Check out our guides on the best mattresses for heavy people and the best mattresses for lightweight sleepers to learn more.
By Sleeping Position
A person’s sleeping position will definitely determine the type of mattress they should purchase.
- Side sleepers should select a softer-than-average mattress that will provide them with the requisite amount of pressure relief.
- Back sleepers should choose a medium-firm mattress.
- Stomach sleepers should select something firmer-than-average.
- Combination sleepers should look for a responsive, medium to medium-firm mattress that quickly adjusts to their movements.
By Health Considerations
Sleepers should consider finding a mattress that supports their particular health condition if applicable. For instance, people who have pain in a specific part of their body need to find a bed that contours and supports the body in all the right places.
If a sleeper has back pain, they will need a mattress that offers lumbar support – take a look at our top picks for the best bed for back pain. Sleepers with neck or shoulder pain (especially those who sleep on their sides) need a softer mattress that contours the body.
Other groups of people may also want to think about finding a mattress well suited to their condition. For instance, seniors or elderly people deal with many sleep problems as they age and need an extra supportive mattress.
Most online mattresses are priced around $1,000 for a queen-size mattress, though you can find many great options well below this price range as well. If you’re shopping for some of the most cheap mattresses, beware that you get what you pay for. If a mattress if only a few hundred dollars, it may not be very durable or long-lasting.
Precautions For Buying A Mattress Online
Trial periods and warranties. As we mentioned earlier, one of the drawbacks of buying a mattress online is that customers can’t actually try out the product before purchasing. Be sure you’re shopping with a company that offers a generous sleep trial period (most range between 100-365 nights) and look into the details for returns and refunds. Online mattress companies should also offer a generous warranty (most are at least 10-year limited warranties) to cover manufacturing defects.
Delivery details. Research exactly what each mattress company’s delivery terms are; if the mattress is larger with coils, it is worth knowing if the company provides free white glove delivery. With this option, movers will actually set up the new mattress in the bedroom and take the old mattress away!
It’s a great time to buy an online mattress because there are so many great options out there – shoppers can easily start their search with these nine fantastic mattresses.
What is the best online mattress for side sleepers?
Out of the many online mattresses I have reviewed, the Layla is one of the best mattresses for side sleepers; its soft side features a thick layer of copper-infused memory foam that relieves pressure remarkably well.
The Nolah is also a great online mattress for side sleepers; it contains a layer of proprietary AirFoam that might relieve pressure better than memory foam. Light- and medium-weight side sleepers should definitely find this to be a comfortable mattress.
What is the best online mattress for back pain?
One of the best online mattresses for back pain is the Level Sleep; it features a proprietary zoned construction that is designed to offer extra lumbar support, relieving and preventing back pain.
The Saatva is also an excellent option for those who struggle with back pain; the mattress features two layers of coils that will provide excellent support and contouring. It also contains a layer of memory foam that will add even more contouring and lumbar support.
Which is better, a foam or spring mattress?
Foam mattresses and innerspring mattresses both have a lot to offer; it really depends on what someone is looking for in a mattress.
Those who are looking for a durable mattress with great breathability and support are going to be better off with an innerspring mattress; at the same time, they can be on the pricier side.
People who require better pressure relief and want spend less money on their purchase are usually going to be better off with a foam mattress.