Sleeping with a partner adds to the difficulty of finding an awesome mattress because there are two people in question who both have different needs and preferences.
In this article, we’ll share our top picks for the best mattresses for couples. Then we will go over everything couples need to consider when looking to buy a mattress they will share.
The Best Mattresses for Couples
- Best Mattress for Couples with Different Preferences – Saatva Solaire
- Best Customizable Mattress – Helix
- Best Value Mattress For Couples – Nectar
- Best Foam Mattress – Leesa
- Best Innerspring Mattress – WinkBed
- Best Hybrid Mattress – DreamCloud
- Best Mattress For Hot Sleepers – Layla
- Best Mattress For Heavy People – Bear Hybrid
- Best Mattress For Back Sleepers – Amerisleep AS3
- Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers – Casper
Take a look at these top picks for couples mattresses; out of all the mattresses I have reviewed, these 10 are the best for couples.
Best Mattress for Couples with Different Preferences
The Saatva Solaire mattress is an air bed with adjustable firmness, and using a remote control, people can choose from one of 50 firmness settings. The mattress will then inflate or deflate and help give people the exact mix of comfort and support they desire.
The Solaire is also a great match for couples, because this mattress is actually split so each side is adjustable. With this design, each partner can select the firmness that matches their sleeping position. If one person sleeps on their stomach, they can set the mattress to a firm setting while the other person can set the mattress to a softer setting.
Also, this split design should also help deal with motion transfer, so people shouldn’t see as much motion transfer from one side of the mattress to the other. Because of this, you and your partner shouldn’t disturb each other when you move around at night.
What Makes The Solaire Stand Out?
- The Solaire features adjustable firmness and people can select from one of 50 firmness settings.
- It is one of the best customizable mattresses.
- The Solaire is split so that each side is adjustable and each partner can select their desired firmness.
- The split design should also help the Solaire cut down on motion transfer.
- The Solaire features a high-end design, so if people are looking for a luxury look and feel, this could be right for them.
- The mattress also works with an adjustable bed. It fits perfectly on the Saatva Lineal.
Read the full breakdown and Solaire mattress review here.
The Saatva Solaire is a very comfortable mattress with adjustable firmness. It is a great fit for light- and medium-weight people of any sleeping position. Click the link to save $200 on the Solaire.
Best Customizable Mattress
The Helix mattress is unique in that the company in that you can customize a mattress to meet any sleeper’s needs. People take a quiz regarding their sleep preferences and then Helix sends them a mattress to fit their needs and preferences.
The mattress is great for couples because you and your partner can each customize your side of the mattress. If you each take the quiz, you will receive a mattress where each side is made to fit each partner.
However, unlike the Solaire, you can’t customize the mattress once it arrives; you can’t adjust the mattress after it is in your bedroom. This isn’t necessarily a drawback, but it is something to note.
The Helix also features nice motion isolation, because most of the customized versions contain memory foam in the first layer and the split design also cuts down on motion transfer.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- By taking a sleep quiz, people can customize the mattress to match their sleeping preferences.
- Helix will customize each side of the mattress based on each partner’s needs, making it a great option for couples.
- The coils on the Helix mattresses promote airflow, so sleepers shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Helix.
Read the full rundown and Helix mattress review here.
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; click the link below to save up to $200 on a Helix mattress and get 2 Free Dream Pillows.
Best Value Mattress For Couples
When couples are looking for a mattress, they also want to make sure they are getting the best deal possible. While the Nectar is not the most affordable mattress on this list, it is one of the best values. Considering its high-quality materials and construction, one would expect it to cost more.
The Nectar is an all-foam mattress that contains two layers of memory foam right on top. The top layer is gel-infused memory foam and it is quite soft and slow-moving. Below that, there is a layer of Hi Core memory foam that is firmer and denser. These two layers work together to cut down on almost all motion transfer on the Nectar mattress.
While it is an all-foam mattress, should not be trapping an extreme amount of heat. The gel infusion in the top memory foam layer should help dissipate body heat, and the Tencel cover is very breathable. Couples should be sleeping cool without disturbing one another on the value Nectar mattress.
What Makes The Nectar Stand Out?
- The Nectar is a comfortable, all-foam mattress that is sold for a value price.
- The Nectar’s multiple layers of memory foam provide excellent motion isolation.
- The mattress provides that slow-moving memory foam feel that many are looking for.
- For an all-foam mattress, the Nectar sleeps quite cool.
Read the full Nectar mattress review
Nectar is a very comfortable memory foam mattress that happens to also be an amazing value, and customers can get the best deal on the Nectar plus $399 of free accessories by using our coupon.
Best Foam Mattress
The Leesa is an all-foam mattress that should be a great match for couples. It features a proprietary LSA200 foam, memory foam, and base foam. At first, it looks like a simpler mattress, but there is quite a bit going on inside.
First off, the mattress boasts an excellent balance of comfort and support. This makes it a great fit for all three sleeping positions. If you and your partner sleep in different positions, you should both get what you need with the Leesa.
The LSA200 is also very unique and is designed to be more responsive than memory foam. It is soft and pressure-relieving but also responsive so you don’t get stuck when changing positions. It is also more breathable than standard memory foam, so it shouldn’t make couples sleep too hot.
What Makes The Leesa Stand Out?
- It is a good match for all three sleeping positions.
- The Leesa is responsive, making it easy to move around at night.
- The mattress is designed to breathable, keeping couples cool at night.
Read the full Leesa mattress review
Leesa is a very comfortable mattress that I think a lot of people are going to really like. You can get up to $200 off the Leesa mattress and get 2 free down pillows simply by clicking the link below.
Best Innerspring Mattress
If you and your partner are looking for something with more of a traditional design, the WinkBed mattress should be at the top of your list. The WinkBed is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top that has the look and feel of something you would find in a nice hotel.
The mattress is available in four different firmnesses, but we believe the Luxury Firm model is the best for couples. This is because it has the best balance of comfort and support. It should be a good fit for all three sleeping positions, letting both partners sleep in their position of choice.
Being an innerspring mattress, the WinkBed is also quite breathable. Its two sets of coils leave a lot of room for airflow, keeping the mattress from trapping a significant amount of heat.
What Makes The WinkBed Stand Out?
- The WinkBed offers a traditional mattress look and feel.
- The Luxury Firm model is a good fit for combination sleepers.
- The mattress is extremely durable and should last for many years.
Read the full WinkBed mattress review
Winkbeds has a mattress that is an excellent balance of comfort and support. You can get $300 off the Winkbeds mattress by clicking the link below.
Best Hybrid Mattress For Couples
Couples looking for a supportive hybrid mattress with a luxury feel will be pleased with the DreamCloud. This hybrid mattress incorporates a coil support system with memory foam layers to create a durable, comfortable, and responsive sleep surface.
The DreamCloud is a good option for hot sleepers as well due to its temperature-regulating materials and coil construction. This bed will do a good job of staying breathable and promoting airflow so you and your partner’s bodies won’t heat up the bed.
This hybrid mattress is also a good choice for shoppers looking to get the benefits of a luxury hybrid mattress at a value price. Ranging from around $799 for a twin to $1,299 (without discounts or promotions) for a king or California king size, the DreamCloud is one of the more affordably priced hybrid mattresses couples can find.
What Makes The DreamCloud Stand Out?
- It’s sold for a value price.
- The DreamCloud offers exceptional support while balancing a soft comfort feel.
- The DreamCloud is bouncy and responsive to movements. This makes it great for people who move around throughout the night and for sex.
Read the full breakdown and DreamCloud mattress review here.
The DreamCloud is a high-quality hybrid mattress that is sold for a value price - click the button to save $200 on the DreamCloud mattress!
Best Mattress For Hot Sleepers
If you want a mattress that is comfortable and features memory foam, you might be sleeping hot. However, this will not be an issue with the Layla, a memory foam mattress made for hot sleepers. Its memory foam is infused with copper to draw heat away from your body.
The Layla is also a very interesting mattress in that it is flippable, meaning one side is firm and supportive while the other side is soft and comfortable. People basically have two firmness options in one mattress, maximizing the chances people will find the appropriate firmness for them.
Even though it is flippable, people and their partner have to sleep on the same side. I believe most people will prefer the soft side, because it is very comfortable and features great pressure relief. Because of this, the Layla should be a great match for couples who are both side sleepers, and they should feel little pressure on their shoulders and hips.
In addition, the Layla handles motion transfer the best out of these six mattresses. The soft memory foam absorbs motion so that you should see almost no motion transfer on the Layla.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have reviewed, and the memory foam melts away any pressure.
- The mattress is flippable so people can choose from a soft side and a firm side.
- The Layla handles motion transfer very well so people shouldn’t feel their partner’s movements on their side of the bed.
- The mattress features copper-infused memory foam, which is antimicrobial and also helps with cooling.
- The Layla relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for the majority of side sleepers.
Read the full breakdown and Layla mattress review here.
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get $150 off the Layla mattress (plus $300 of accessories) by clicking the link below.
Best Mattress For Heavy People
The Bear Hybrid was made specifically to be comfortable and supportive at the same time. The mattress performed very well on our pressure map tests because of the premium foams that they use. The pocketed coils can support people of really any weight, and it’s a great fit no matter what sleeping position you prefer.
The mattress is great for couples with different preferences, and there is also limited motion transfer, meaning you won’t really feel your partner moving around the bed.
What Makes The Bear Hybrid Stand Out?
- The mattress is a great balance of comfort and support. It has great pressure relief and can support people of any weight.
- The mattress is a good fit for all three sleeping positions, making it great for couples with different sleeping preferences.
- The mattress will not sleep hot because of its breathable foams and celliant cover.
- It’s one of the best mattresses for athletes and active people.
Read the full rundown and Bear Hybrid mattress review here.
The Bear Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers. Save 20% on your whole order by using code CLARITY20 at checkout.
Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
Amerisleep offers a line of five memory foam mattresses each of varying firmness levels. The Amerisleep AS3 has a medium firmness level and is one of the most popular models from the company.
This firmness makes the AS3 ideal for back sleepers. Couples who both sleep on their back should get the perfect balance of comfort and support.
The AS3 has a classic, soft memory foam feel, but it is more responsive than most memory foam mattresses. This makes it great for people who move around often throughout the night and don’t want to get stuck in their bed.
This model also incorporates extra materials like Celliant technology and bio-based foams to create a breathable and cooling mattress. This means couples who share the bed won’t have to worry about trapping a bunch of body heat in the bed and sleeping hot. If couples are searching for an affordable memory foam bed that will last the the test of time, the AS3 from Amerisleep is a great choice.
What Makes The Amerisleep Stand Out?
- It’s an affordable memory foam mattress.
- This foam mattress is built with specific materials designed to improve airflow so you can sleep cool.
- It’s well-suited for side sleepers or combination sleepers who change positions throughout the night.
Read the full breakdown and Amerisleep AS3 mattress review here.
Amerisleep is a perfect choice if you want a memory foam mattress but also want to sleep cool. You can get 30% off Amerisleep mattresses simply by clicking the link below and using code MC30.
Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers
Casper features a zoned construction, which means it will generally feel firmer and more supportive when sleeping on one’s back or stomach and then softer when sleeping on one’s side. Because of the nature of this zoned construction, Casper is a great fit for all sleeping positions and is great for couples who have different tastes or who perhaps sleep in different positions at night.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The mattress features a zoned construction, making it both supportive and pressure-relieving at the same time. This is great for couples who sleep in different positions at night or who just have different preferences.
- The mattress is very comfortable no matter what position people sleep in at night because of the zoned construction and nice balanced foam feel.
- The Casper is a great value, because it should last people a long time and it has some extra touches that other mattresses in its price range simply do not have.
Read the full breakdown and Casper mattress review here.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can get 15% off a Casper mattress or 30% off on bundles!
Mattress Options for Couples Who Are Heavier
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than I do: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 pounds; I am 5’9″ and 160 pounds. Here is what he thought about this selection of mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers like him
First, we have the Saatva Solaire, which is a mattress with adjustable firmness. With the King-size, each side is adjustable, so I can choose what firmness I need for my side and my partner can choose what they need.
With the Helix mattress, each side is customizable, so I can have my desired firmness on my side, and my partner can have theirs.
Also, if you like the memory foam feel, the Nectar and Loom & Leaf are great options for heavier people, because they both cut down on motion transfer, which is a big issue when you or are your partner are heavier.
Out of these six mattresses, these four are the best for heavier people based their construction and on my personal experience.
If you are a larger person, it can be even more difficult to find a couples mattress, because, for instance, if you two have very different weights, how can you choose a mattress to fit you both? However, as Marten said, these four mattresses could be a good match for couples where one or both partners are on the heavier side. Make sure to take a look at our best mattresses for heavy people as well.
What Should You Look For In A Mattress For Couples?
- Good motion isolation- If you sleep with a partner, you want to find a mattress where each of you can sleep in peace without disturbing each other, so you want to consider how well your mattress isolates motion. When it comes to cutting down on motion transfer, memory foam is usually the best, so people should definitely consider a mattress with memory foam if they and their partner want to sleep soundly.
- Edge support- If people sleep with a partner, they also want to think about how much of the mattress they can really utilize. Can you sit or lie down near the edge of your mattress securely or will you feel like you are going to fall off? Solid edge support can ensure that you and your partner will have the necessary space to sleep, which is ideal.
- A good fit for all multiple sleeping positions- Chances are, you and your partner don’t always sleep in the same position; if this is the case, you probably will want to keep an eye for a mattress that is both supportive and comfortable. With a good balance of comfort and support, a mattress will be a good fit for numerous sleeping positions; because of this, the mattress should be a good fit for two people, even if they sleep in different positions.
What Types Of Materials Are Best For Couples?
- High-Density Memory Foam- Memory foam is known for its great motion isolation., and the higher the density of the foam, the better the mattress is for this.
- Some Latex Foams- Latex mattresses can be fairly decent with motion transfer/isolation, but it just depends on the specific mattress in question.
- Pocketed Coil Innerspring- A lot of innerspring mattresses aren’t very good with motion transfer, but if the mattress uses pocketed coils, they tend to be pretty good with isolation.
Here’s a summary of the best mattresses for couples:
|Saatva Solaire||Best Mattress for Couples with Different Preferences|
|Helix||Best Customizable Mattress|
|Nectar||Best Value Mattress|
|Leesa||Best Foam Mattress|
|WinkBed||Best Innerspring Mattress|
|DreamCloud||Best Hybrid Mattress For Couples|
|Layla||Best Mattress For Hot Sleepers|
|Bear Hybrid||Best Mattress For Heavy People|
|Amerisleep AS3||Best Mattress For Back Sleepers|
|Casper||Best Mattress For Combination Sleepers|
Still trying to compromise on a great mattress? Try taking our mattress quiz to receive tailored mattress recommendations both you and your partner will love.