Finding the right mattress is very important. We spend almost a third of our lives in bed, so it’s best to choose something comfortable and high-quality.
That’s why, if you have the money, investing in a luxury mattress is a great idea. High-end materials and luxury touches could mean that for one-third of your life, you’re sleeping in style.
What are the best luxury mattresses? While the term is subjective, there are six mattresses that really stand out among the rest in terms of construction, feel, and luxurious features.
Which mattress will have you sleeping in the lap of luxury? Read on for my full buying guide.
Best Overall Luxury
The Saatva Solaire is an adjustable air bed that has a nice luxury feel. It should be a great fit for all three sleeping positions.
Best For Side Sleepers
The Purple 4 features a unique gel polymer that is very pressure-relieving. It should be a great match for side sleepers.
The WinkBeds is a comfortable and supportive innerspring mattress. It should be a good choice for those who like a hotel mattress feel.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom & Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a memory foam mattress that contains premium materials. It is a great fit for those who like memory foam but don't want to sleep hot or get stuck.
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
The Bloom Hybrid features all-natural latex and supportive coils. It is a great match for those who want to avoid chemicals in their mattress.
The DreamCloud is an affordable mattress with nice luxury touches.
Top Picks Explained
Take a look at my breakdown of these six fantastic luxury mattresses. They are a good fit for different types of sleepers, so read on to find the right fit for you.
Best Overall Luxury
The Saatva Solaire is a luxury, adjustable air mattress. It features air chambers that allow you to inflate and deflate the mattress to your desired firmness setting.
This makes the Solaire a great match for all three sleeping positions. If you sleep on your back, you can set the mattress to a proper medium-firm setting. Sleep on your stomach? You can make the mattress very firm. If you are a side sleeper, you can deflate the mattress to make it much softer.
In addition, if you purchase the Queen- or King-size Solaire, you can adjust each side of the mattress separately. This makes the Solaire a great option for couples. You and your partner can each choose the firmness you like without affecting each other.
The Solaire also features luxurious materials such as organic cotton, gel memory foam, and all-natural Talalay latex. All in all, it is perhaps the most luxurious and innovative mattress on this list.
What Makes The Solaire Stand Out?
- It is adjustable, allowing you to choose the exact firmness you like.
- The Solaire is a great fit for multiple sleeping positions.
- Each side is adjustable, making it a good mattress for couples.
- It contains organic cotton, gel memory foam, and Talalay latex, all high-quality materials.
Read the full Saatva Solaire mattress review.
Best For Side Sleepers
The Purple 4 features 4″ of a unique, hyper-elastic gel polymer in its comfort layer. It forms a gel grid that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time.
In fact, the Purple 4 offers the best pressure relief of any mattress on this list. When you lie on your side, the gel grid collapses under your shoulders and hips, really letting the pressure melt away. This makes the Purple 4 the best mattress for side sleepers as well.
The gel grid is also a very durable material. It shouldn’t sag like some foams are known to do and should stand up to years of use. When you combine that with the durable coils in the support layer, the Purple 4 should be a good, long-term investment.
In addition, the gel grid allows for a good amount of airflow. This means the Purple 4 is almost completely temperature neutral. You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Purple 4.
In the end, the Purple 4 is just a very comfortable, luxury mattress.
What Makes The Purple 4 Stand Out?
- It contains a hyper-elastic gel polymer that is supportive and comfortable.
- The Purple 4 relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for side sleepers.
- It features luxury, durable materials that make it a longer-lasting mattress.
- The mattress is very breathable and could be a good choice for hot sleepers.
Read the full Purple 4 mattress review.
If you have enjoyed sleeping on hotel spring mattresses, the WinkBeds mattress is right up your alley. It contains two layers of steel coils and a Euro-style pillow-top and has a very luxurious, innerspring mattress feel.
This construction gives the WinkBeds a nice balance of comfort and support. The pillow-top is soft and should provide some nice pressure relief. The two layers of coils are very supportive and should also help with contouring.
The WinkBeds should be a good match for all three sleeping positions. It should be soft enough for side sleepers and firm enough for most back and stomach sleepers. You can choose from four models: Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plus. This should allow you to find the right firmness for you.
The steel coils promote airflow throughout the mattress. This means the WinkBeds should be more breathable and shouldn’t trap too much heat.
All in all, if you like the feel of a luxury spring mattress, the WinkBeds could be just right for you.
What Makes The WinkBeds Stand Out?
- It is a luxury option for those who prefer sleeping on a hotel spring mattress.
- The WinkBeds has a nice balance of comfort and support.
- You can choose from four firmness options.
- The coils allow for airflow and make the WinkBeds a more breathable mattress.
- The WinkBeds contains durable materials, so it should be a good, long-term investment.
Read the full WinkBeds mattress review.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom & Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury memory foam mattress. It contains many layers of high-density memory foam that give the mattress that slow, sinking feeling.
These memory foams are great with both contouring and pressure relief. When you lie on your side, you might feel some firmness at first, but you will slowly sink in and feel the pressure melt away.
Two of the drawbacks of memory foam mattresses are that they can sleep too hot and trap you in the mattress. This shouldn’t happen on the Loom & Leaf. There are air channels in the top layers as well as a cooling, gel laminate panel.
In addition, the mattress doesn’t let you sink in too far and get stuck. You should feel some soft pressure relief, but it should still be easy to move around on the mattress.
If you want a luxury memory foam mattress, the Loom & Leaf could be a great option.
What Makes The Loom & Leaf Stand Out?
- It is a luxury mattress that features high-density memory foams.
- The Loom & Leaf provides nice pressure relief and could be a good match for side sleepers.
- While the mattress contains memory foam, it should work for hot sleepers.
- The high-density memory foam is very durable, so this should be a longer-lasting mattress.
- You can choose from two firmnesses: Relaxed Firm and Firm.
Read the full Loom & Leaf mattress review.
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
The Bloom Hybrid is a hybrid mattress that contains premium, durable materials. It features both high-grade coils and all-natural Talalay latex. Together with the quilted, tufted top, these materials give the Bloom Hybrid a very luxurious look and feel.
This construction also provides a nice balance of comfort and support. The quilted, organic cotton cover is very soft and is also quilted with wool. This helps provide some pressure relief. Below that, the individually-wrapped coils provide a good amount of support. This makes it a good match for those who change positions at night.
You can also choose from three firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm. This allows you to choose the model that fits your sleeping preferences. We reviewed the Medium model and it was an especially good fit for back and side sleeping.
The Talalay latex is also naturally sourced and free of harmful chemicals. This is a good option for those who are trying to avoid chemicals in their mattress.
What Makes The Bloom Hybrid Stand Out?
- It features premium materials such as Talalay latex and individually-wrapped coils.
- The latex is free of harmful chemicals, which makes this a more eco-friendly option.
- The Bloom Hybrid comes in three firmnesses: Soft, Medium, and Firm.
- The mattress doesn’t trap heat and should be a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The latex and coils are very durable, so the mattress should be longer-lasting.
Read the full Bloom Hybrid review.
The DreamCloud mattress is luxury mattress with that hotel innerspring feel. It contains pocketed coils, numerous layers of high-density memory foam, and latex as well.
The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support. The top layers are quite soft and should offer nice pressure relief for most side sleepers. The coils and top layers should also make this a good match for most back sleepers.
In addition, the DreamCloud features luxury flourishes such as a cashmere cover. This is very soft to the touch and, together with the quilted foam, gives the top of the mattress a soft, pillow-top feel.
The coils allow for a good amount of airflow. The mattress also contains gel-infused memory foam which helps dissipate heat. Altogether, you shouldn’t be sleeping hot.
Finally, the DreamCloud is one of the more affordable mattresses on this list. If you want a durable, luxury mattress but don’t want to break the bank, the DreamCloud could work for you.
What Makes The DreamCloud Stand Out?
- The DreamCloud contains luxury materials such as natural latex, pocketed coils, and a cashmere cover.
- The mattress features a balance of comfort and support and should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
- The inclusion of coils and gel-infused memory foam mean this should be a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- The mattress includes durable materials, so it should be longer-lasting.
- The DreamCloud is a very affordable luxury mattress.
Read the full DreamCloud mattress review.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
All these mattresses are a great fit for heavier people like myself, but in different ways.
First off, the DreamCloud is a luxury mattress with that hotel feel. It has soft top layers and supportive layers beneath that. It is great for back and side sleeping.
The Loom & Leaf is great if you want that memory foam feel. I felt nice on my back and side. Especially when I am on my side, I feel myself slowly sink into the mattress and experience great pressure relief on my shoulders and hips.
The Bloom Hybrid is really great for back sleeping. My hips sink into the top layer but not too far, and I feel good lumbar support as well. It’s very nice for heavier back sleepers.
I like the WinkBeds mattresses, specifically the WinkBeds Plus. This mattress is made specifically for heavier people like myself. It is extra supportive and great for heavier back and stomach sleepers.
The Purple 4 is awesome for side sleeping. Often when I am side sleeping on some mattresses, I feel myself bottom out. This causes me to feel some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. This does not happen on the Purple 4. I press into the gel grid and feel almost no pressure on my shoulders and hips.
The Saatva Solaire is awesome because it is adjustable. If you buy a Queen- or King-size mattress, each side is adjustable. If you and your partner have different sleeping preferences, you can each set your side to meet your needs. It is great for couples of many sizes.
In the end, all six mattresses are a great match for heavier people.
If you are looking for a mattress, it is always smart to consider your size and weight. I am not very surprised that Marten found all these mattresses to be a good match. They are all high-quality, durable mattresses so they should be a good fit for heavier people with many types of sleeping preferences.
What Makes A Luxury Mattress?
Luxury is very subjective, especially with mattresses. However, I will list a few criteria that make a mattress luxurious:
- Durable materials. Even if a mattress feels great, it’s not great if it breaks down after six months. That’s why you should consider the durability of the materials used in your mattress. Luxury mattresses often feature high-density foams, coils, and sometimes latex. These add life to the mattress and, while you pay more money up front, the mattress will be a better long-term investment.
- Features for sleeping cool. Sleeping hot is a big concern for a lot of consumers. Luxury mattresses often directly address this issue in the construction. They will include gel foam, latex, and performance fabric covers to ensure you don’t overheat at night.
- Additional bells and whistles. There are lots of additional bells and whistles that could be added to a mattress to make it more of a luxury item. A mattress could be flippable, for example, and have two firmness levels in one. The mattress could feature premium fabrics or specialty fabrics (such as Celliant) in its cover.
If you are searching for a luxury mattress, one of these six could be a great match for you. They all feature premium materials and should give you that luxurious night of sleep you have been looking for.
So, which one is it going to be?
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Bear Vs. Bear Hybrid Mattress Comparison – Which Is Right For You? - June 19, 2019
- 5 Best Firm Mattresses 2019 - June 13, 2019
- Lucid Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress Review – A Great Value? - June 3, 2019