If you are looking for an all-natural mattress, it might be time to check out the Avocado mattress.
The Avocado is a popular hybrid mattress with latex and pocketed coils. In addition, you can choose to add a soft, fluffy pillow top.
While naturally-sourced latex isn’t the most affordable, it can make for a supportive and durable mattress. Is the Avocado a good, long-term investment? Read on for my full review.
Note: I received the version with the 2-inch pillow top
You Might Want To Pick The Avocado If:
- You need a supportive mattress. This is a very supportive mattress so it should be able to handle sleepers of many weights. If you are larger or need extra support, the Avocado could be a great option.
- You are looking for a long-term investment. While the Avocado is somewhat pricey, it also contains very durable components. You might have to pay some money up front, but the mattress should last for a good while.
- You are a hot sleeper. One of the benefits of latex is that it is naturally cooling. When you add that together with the moisture-wicking wool on top, the Avocado should be a cooler-sleeping mattress. You shouldn’t be overheating on the Avocado.
- You want firmness options. Since you can choose to include the pillow top or not, you should be able to find the right fit for your sleeping position. Those who sleep on their back and side will most like prefer the pillow top. Those who sleep on their back and stomach might want to go without the pillow top.
RELATED: Best Mattress
You Might Not Want To Pick The Avocado If:
- You are looking for a more affordable mattress. The Avocado is a very comfortable mattress with a lot to offer. However, it might be too expensive for some. If you opt for the pillow top, this will also add another $400 to the cost. If you want a more affordable mattress, you should look elsewhere.
- You like to sink into your mattress. The Avocado is a more supportive mattress with latex. Because of this, you will sleep on top of the Avocado and not sink in too far. If you prefer to sink into your mattress, you might want to opt for a memory foam mattress.
- You don’t like bouncy mattresses. The mattress features latex that is very bouncy and responsive. While it is very easy to move around on the mattress, this feel might not be to everyone’s liking. If you don’t like bounce in your mattress, I would look for something with slower-moving memory foam.
- The Avocado with the pillow top is 13” tall.
- The cover is made of cotton and button tufted. Inside the pillow top, there is organic wool and 2” of natural Dunlop latex.
- There are 2 more inches of Dunlop latex in the comfort layer and then 1” in the support layer.
- Finally, there are 8” of pocketed coils.
- The mattress is made in the USA.
- The Avocado is free of harmful chemicals and is eco-friendly.
- You can choose to add a pillow top to your Avocado mattress. It adds another soft layer that should help with pressure relief for side sleepers.
- The mattress is very supportive and should be able to handle larger weights. In addition, the coils are zoned so the mattress is firmer and more supportive under the heavier parts of your body.
- This is a very breathable mattress. The wool helps with cooling and the latex is aerated to promote airflow. The coils also allow for a good amount of airflow. You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Avocado.
- The mattress has a good balance of comfort and support. The top is fluffy and comfortable, while the latex and coils provide a good amount of support.
- The latex and pocketed coils give the Avocado a very bouncy feel. These materials are very responsive and quickly snap back into place. It should be easy to move around on the Avocado.
Why Should You Choose The Avocado Over Other Natural Latex Mattresses?
- The Avocado comes with Free White Glove Delivery. Latex mattresses can be very heavy so this is a great customer service term. Movers will set up the Avocado in your bedroom and take away all packing materials.
- The company offers a vegan option. While the standard pillow top Avocado features wool in its construction, you can opt for cotton instead.
- You can choose to add a pillow top to your mattress. This adds another level of plush comfort. However, if you don’t like this soft feeling, you can choose to purchase the Avocado without the pillow top.
- The pillow top does make this a better option for side sleepers when compared to other latex mattresses. The pillow top provides is soft and should provide nice pressure relief for many side sleepers.
Firmness And Feel
The Avocado feels like a 6.5/10, about average in terms of firmness. I will note that your weight might determine how the Avocado feels to you. If you are lighter, you could just soft pillow top and find the mattress to be softer. However, if you are larger, you could press further into the mattress and feel more firmness.
Here’s how I feel in different sleeping positions:
- In my experience, the Avocado feels great when I am sleeping on my back. My hips sink into that pillow top and I feel the next layers contouring to the shape of my body.
- I feel very nice when I move to my side. The pillow top relieves pressure on my shoulders and hips. If you are a light- or medium-weight side sleeper, you should feel comfortable side sleeping. Larger people could feel some pressure.
- Finally, moving to my stomach, I don’t feel the best support. My hips are bowing in somewhat. If you sleep primarily on your stomach, I would forego the pillow top.
The Avocado has a latex feel and is very bouncy. You also get some of that soft pillow top plushness on top. The latex is also very responsive so it is very easy to move around on the mattress.
One of the drawbacks of latex is that it is not the best at handling motion transfer. So, the motion transfer I saw on the Avocado was not surprising.
I placed a glass of water on the mattress and pressed into the surrounding area. The water was clearly disturbed. Also, I asked Marten to move around on the other side of the mattress. I did feel his movements on my side.
If you sleep with a partner, you might feel them on your side of the mattress.
While the motion transfer isn’t great on the Avocado, this supportive latex mattress has very good edge support.
Sitting down near the edge of the mattress, I feel very secure. I don’t feel like I am going to pitch forward. Also, when I am lying down on the edge of the mattress, I don’t feel like I am going to roll off.
The mattress does not really collapse in either position, and there is even a reinforced edge. You can see the edge support in the photo below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about the mattress:
Joe said it was a 6.5/10, and I thought it was closer to a 7.5/10. I think this is because I am a larger person, and I press further into the mattress than Joe did.
When I am back sleeping, I feel very nice support. My hips sink in but not too far. Also, I feel good lumbar support.
On my side, I feel decent pressure relief. However, I feel a bit of firmness on my shoulders and hips. When I am on my stomach, the mattress is a little too soft for me. I am bowing in at the hips.
If you are a larger person and sleep on your back, the Avocado is a great option. If you sleep on your side, it could work for you. If you are a little heavier than me, I would look elsewhere. If you are looking for a mattress for heavy stomach sleepers, I would also look elsewhere.
As a larger person, Marten pressed further into the mattress than I did. It is not surprising that he found it to be firmer. Like me, he felt nice on his back, but he did feel a bit more pressure when he was on his side. Also, like me, he felt the mattress was too soft on his stomach.
What Makes The Avocado Stand Out?
- It is a great natural mattress with responsibly sourced materials.
- The Avocado is a very supportive mattress that should be able to handle even heavier weights.
- The mattress contains very durable materials so it should last for a good amount of time.
- This should be a good mattress for hot sleepers. It features breathable latex, moisture-wicking wool, and airflow-promoting coils.
- It features an optional pillow top. This means you can choose a softer or firmer mattress.
The Avocado is a great natural latex mattress that should be a solid long-term investment. It is also very supportive and a great option for hot sleepers. However, heavier side sleepers and those who don’t like a bouncy mattress might want to look elsewhere.
The Avocado comes with an optional pillow top, and a Vegan option is also available. The Avocado comes with Free White Glove Delivery, Free Shipping, and Returns. There is also a 100-night sleep trial and a 25-year warranty. Financing is available.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Best Cheap Mattresses – Save Some Money! - October 7, 2019
- Level Sleep Vs Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Zoned Mattress Is Best For You? - October 4, 2019
- Allswell Luxe Hybrid Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - September 26, 2019