Both the Five Star Down Alternative and the Casper pillow are down alternatives with 100% cotton covers, which means that when it comes to telling them apart, it’s all in the details. So which one could be the right fit for you? Read on for my full comparison.
- Filled with 100% polyester fibers (down-like filling)
- 100% cotton covers
- Gussets for extra width
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
Five Star Down:
- 100% cotton cover – called Damask fabric with satin piping
- 300 thread count
- 1.5″ gusset
- Flat and formed – cannot be scrunched up like a down pillow
- Sizes: Standard, Queen, King, and Euro Size
- No trial period or warranty options (unless specified by retailer)
- Pillow in a pillow design
- Inner pillow filled with coated polyester fibers
- Inner and Outer Cover Fabric: 100% Supima Cotton
- 400 thread count
- 2” gusset
- Fill is sourced in South Korea and assembled in the USA
- Standard and King sizes available
- 10-year warranty and 100-night trial
You Might Choose
Five Star Down If…
- You are on a budget. Compared to the Casper pillow, the Five Star Down Alternative pillow is significantly less expensive and – on its own- could fit most budgets.
- You are a stomach sleeper. It does provide slightly more firmness and even distribution than a down pillow (based on my experience). However, I think this pillow is the best fit for stomach sleepers (or even back sleepers) more than side sleepers.
- You want to see and feel the pillow before buying it. You can now take a look at the Casper pillows in Target stores. This will let you get an idea of what the “pillow in a pillow” concept is all about before purchasing one.
- You are a back or side sleeper. Because the Casper pillow is essentially two pillows in one and there is a 2” gusset, you get more firmness and loft than the Five Star Down Alternative. This puts it right at a good place for side and back sleepers. Stomach sleepers can, of course, remove one of the pillows and be happy as well.
- You like down but have allergies. Both of these pillows are hypoallergenic and made with 100% polyester fibers. The good news is they also both have that cozy down feel to them.
- You want easy care. Both pillows are easy to machine wash and dry and may only require occasional fluffing in the dryer to keep it in good shape.
From their polyester fillings to their gussets and cotton covers, these pillows are extremely similar.
What sets them apart – mostly – is that Casper’s pillow in a pillow design gives it slightly more loft and support. This makes it a better fit for back and side sleepers while the Five Star Down Alternative could be a home run for stomach sleepers.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Fisher-Price Recalls 4.7 Million Rock ‘n Play Sleepers - April 22, 2019
- Sleep Training: A Q&A With Pediatric Sleep Consultant Susie Parker - April 19, 2019
- The Complete Guide To Anxiety And Sleep - April 18, 2019