Sleepers who love the soft fluff of down – but struggle with allergies or sensitivities – will find themselves both delighted and gratified if they choose either of these down alternative pillows. Turns out, both the Five Star Down Alternative and the Casper pillow are down alternative pillows with 100% cotton covers and when it comes to telling them apart, it’s all about their details and particular characteristics. Which is the best match and what else is there to consider? Watch my in-depth review or keeping reading for my full comparison.
- Filled with 100% polyester fibers (down-like filling)
- 100% cotton covers
- Gussets for extra width
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
Five Star Down:
- 100% cotton cover – called Damask fabric with satin piping
- 300 thread count
- 1.5″ gusset
- Flat and formed – cannot be scrunched up like a down pillow
- Sizes: Standard, Queen, King, and Euro Size
- No trial period or warranty options (unless specified by retailer)
- Pillow in a pillow design
- Inner pillow filled with coated polyester fibers
- Inner and Outer Cover Fabric: 100% Supima Cotton
- 400 thread count
- 2” gusset
- Fill is sourced in South Korea and assembled in the USA
- Standard and King sizes available
- A 10-year warranty and a 100-night trial
Who Might Choose
Five Star Down
- Sleepers who are on a budget. This pillow is a great possibility for those looking to spend less without forgoing comfort. It can be purchased at a variety of retailers, so make sure to price compare. There’s no doubt that it’s certainly less expensive than the Casper pillow (which isn’t outrageously expensive, to begin with!).
- Stomach sleepers. This particular pillow provides an added firmness and a more even distribution than a down pillow. However, the encompassing height and softer nature make it a better fit for more stomach sleepers and a few back sleepers, as compared to side sleepers.
- Those who like to shop in-store. Potential customers can now look and touch a real Casper pillow in Target stores. The ability to check out a pillow, especially to assess what this “pillow-in-pillow” design means, can be a big plus for some shoppers.
- Back or side sleepers. Because the Casper pillow is essentially two pillows in one, and there is a 2” gusset, individuals will feel that enhanced firmness and loft, as compared to the Five Star Down Alternative. This makes it an optimal choice or back and side sleepers and stomach sleepers can, of course, remove one of the pillows and be pleased as well.
- Sleepers who like down but have allergies. Both of these pillows are hypoallergenic and made with 100% polyester fibers but they still have that fluffy, downy feel to them at the end of the day.
- Customers looking for easy care instructions. Both pillows come with straightforward care instructions – they are easy to machine wash and dry and may only require occasional fluffing in the dryer to keep it in good shape.
From their polyester fiber-filled cores to their generous gussets and crisp cotton covers, there is no doubt that these two pillows are extremely similar in both construction and overall feel.
Casper’s innovative pillow-in-a-pillow design offers an amplified amount of loft and support, making it a better fit for back and side sleepers. Meanwhile, the plush and flatter nature that makes up the Five Star Down Alternative pillow could be a phenomenal option for stomach sleepers.
Casper’s pillow offers an abundant trial period so potential customers can spend good quality time with the pillow. What the Five Star Down Alternative lacks in trial periods, it makes up for in affordability and ease of care.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How Genetics Impact Our Sleep - March 23, 2020
- Amerisleep Comfort Classic Pillow Review – The Perfect Foam Pillow? - March 20, 2020
- Best Cotton Sheets – Tried and Tested! - March 3, 2020