There’s little worse than an uncomfortable mattress as it can cause sleepers to wake up with back pain and toss and turn at night…it’s no fun.
Those who aren’t ready to buy a new mattress yet might be considering a mattress topper but, just looking at the mattress toppers available online, we can see that many of the options are made of some kind of memory foam, a material that can soften a mattress and add a slow, sinking feel to it.
While it might seem difficult to choose the right one, I have tried many of the best memory foam mattress toppers on the market, and five really stand out.
Read on for my full memory foam mattress topper buying guide!
Best Pressure Relief
The ViscoSoft features fantastic pressure relief and should be a particularly great match for side sleepers.
Best For Hot Sleepers
The Layla is a soft memory foam topper that features cooling agents to make sure sleepers don't overheat at night.
Best For Stomach Sleepers
The Saatva mattress topper is a comfortable yet supportive mattress topper that should be a great fit for stomach sleeping.
The Dreamfoam is a comfortable and affordable mattress topper that should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
The TEMPUR-Topper is a comfortable and supportive memory foam mattress topper; it features high-density memory foam and should be a good long-term investment.
Best Mattress Topper Picks Video
Watch as I personally test and walk you through each topper on the list! Sometimes seeing it in action is the best review.
Top Picks Explained
Read below for my top memory foam mattress topper picks; I chose these five because they should be a good fit for different types of sleepers and, for more information on any of these toppers, make sure to read the individual reviews.
Best Pressure Relief
If a mattress is too firm, sleepers probably aren’t getting the pressure relief you need and they could find it difficult to get comfortable, especially when they are on their side.
For those who want to add some serious pressure relief to their mattress, the ViscoSoft is an exceptional option because it features a whopping 3″ of high-density memory foam; even larger people should press into the topper and feel little pressure on their shoulders and hips.
The ViscoSoft will also make a firm mattress a better fit for back sleeping. Lying on a firm mattress, back sleepers could feel like their hips aren’t sinking in far enough, and this can cause lower back strain, but the ViscoSoft will soften a mattress so that our hips sink in some more while the memory foam contours to the curves of the body.
Many memory foam mattress toppers can sleep hot, this shouldn’t be a problem with the ViscoSoft because its memory foam is infused with a cooling gel, it is also ventilated, and the bamboo/rayon cover is cool to the touch.
Overall, those who want a very comfortable mattress topper to add significant pressure relief to their mattress should take a look at the ViscoSoft.
What Makes The ViscoSoft Stand Out?
- It contains a thick layer of soft, memory foam that should relieve pressure for the majority side sleepers.
- The topper contours to the body and should be a good match for back sleepers of many sizes.
- The topper should be a particularly good choice for hot sleepers.
- It features four anchor straps to keep the topper secured to the mattress.
Read the full ViscoSoft mattress topper review
The ViscoSoft 3" Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a great option for hot sleepers who want some extra pressure relief. Click the button for the best deal on ViscoSoft.
Best For Hot Sleepers
One of the main drawbacks of memory foam is that it sleeps hot; I have slept on a variety of memory foam mattresses and mattress toppers, and I have often woken up, sweaty and clammy. The memory foam traps my body heat and directs it back at me, making for a very uncomfortable sleeping experience.
That’s why I’m such a big fan of the Layla mattress topper. It is the coolest sleeping memory foam mattress topper I have come across because the Layla’s memory foam is infused with copper gel beads, a material helps dissipate the heat trapped by the memory foam. Also, the Layla’s cover contains Thermogel, another cooling agent.
The Layla is also a particularly good choice for back and side sleepers because it features some great contouring and relieves pressure very well.
Those who like the feeling of memory foam but worry about sleeping hot will like the Layla, so expect to slowly sink into the topper while still sleeping quite cool.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- Thermogel and a copper infusion ensure the topper does not sleep particularly hot.
- The copper infusion is also antimicrobial so it should keep mildew and mold from building up in the Layla topper.
- The Layla is a very comfortable option for back and side sleepers of many sizes.
- The topper features four corner straps to secure it to the mattress.
Read the full Layla mattress topper review
The Layla is a great option for hot sleepers who want a memory foam feel.
Best For Stomach Sleepers
Memory foam mattress toppers are often a good choice for back sleepers and side sleepers, but what about those who sleep on their stomach? Can they find a memory foam mattress topper that meets their needs?
The answer is yes, and out of the memory foam mattresses I have reviewed, the Saatva is the best for stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers should get the hip support they need when lying on the Saatva.
While most memory foam mattress toppers have just one layer, the Saatva features two, a layer of graphite-infused memory foam and a transition layer beneath that. We get the soft feeling of memory foam on top and the exceptional support of that transition layer beneath.
The Saatva is also a good match for back sleepers so, when they are on their backs, their hips will sink in just a bit, and the memory foam will take the shape of their body. The Saatva is also an exceptional match for side sleepers and, when they are on their side, they should feel some more pressure relief on their shoulders and hips. Even heavier side sleepers should like the Saatva.
Sleepers also shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Saatva because the Saatva’s graphite infusion will help with heat dissipation so the memory foam won’t trap too much heat.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- It features a transition layer that adds some support to the comfortable topper.
- The topper should be a good match for all back, side, and stomach sleeping.
- The memory foam is infused with graphite to help with cooling.
Read the full Saatva mattress review
The Saatva mattress topper is a comfortable option for back sleepers, side sleepers, and hot sleepers.
When shopping for a mattress topper, budget is always a consideration. Sure, if someone is made of money, they are welcome to spend $400 on a high-end mattress topper, but most of us don’t want to spend too much on a topper.
That’s why I like the Dreamfoam 2″ mattress topper; a Queen-size Dreamfoam sells for less than $70, a very good deal for such a comfortable mattress topper.
The Dreamfoam should be a good option for back sleepers whose mattress is too firm because the Dreamfoam also adds some contouring, and side sleepers should also get some added pressure relief.
This topper is also infused with a gel swirl, a material that should keep the topper from trapping too much heat.
Those who want a comfortable memory foam mattress topper but don’t want to break the bank should take a look at the Dreamfoam.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Stand Out?
- The topper is sold for a very affordable price.
- The Dreamfoam softens the mattress, adding some extra contouring and pressure relief.
- The gel infusion should help dissipate heat trapped by the memory foam.
Read the full Dreamfoam mattress topper review
The Dreamfoam is a soft memory foam mattress topper. It is a great fit for back and side sleepers.
One issue with more budget-friendly mattress toppers is that they might not last too long because they often contain low-density memory foam. This material can be comfortable, but it will start to break down quickly.
For those who are looking at their mattress topper purchase as more of an investment, the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is an excellent choice: it is not the most affordable mattress topper, but it is very durable and should stay comfortable and effective for many years.
The topper features 3″ of TEMPUR material, a very soft memory foam that makes this one of the most comfortable mattress toppers that I have tried.
Back sleepers and side sleepers should very much enjoy the TEMPUR-Topper. While back sleeping, the high-density memory foam will let the hips sink while it also contours to the body. Side sleepers, even those on the heavier side, should feel fantastic pressure relief on their shoulders and hips and since the topper is so thick and high-density, even larger sleepers shouldn’t “bottom out.”
Those who want a very comfortable memory foam mattress topper to use for a significant amount of time should consider the TEMPUR-Topper.
What Makes The TEMPUR-Topper Stand Out?
- It features high-density memory foam that is also exceptionally durable.
- Side sleepers should feel fantastic pressure relief while lying on the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme.
- The TEMPUR-Topper should offer the balance of comfort and support needed by most back sleepers.
- The topper’s cover can be removed for easy cleaning at home.
Read the full TEMPUR-Topper review
The TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is a soft memory foam mattress topper. It should be a good match for back sleepers, side sleepers, and fans of slow-moving memory foam.
Mattress Topper Considerations
There are a few things shoppers should consider when looking for a mattress topper, so keep these points in mind, and it should be easy to find the right memory foam mattress topper!
- Sleeping position. Finding the right topper will depend greatly on a sleeper’s primary sleeping position; for instance, if someone sleeps primarily on their back, they want a mattress topper that is soft but not too soft because, if it is too soft, they might not get the support they need. Side sleepers should look for a softer, thicker mattress topper that will provide the necessary pressure relief and stomach sleepers will want a mattress topper that barely softens their mattress.
- Weight. A person’s size and weight will determine what thickness of topper they should be looking for. A lighter side sleeper might only need a 2″ mattress topper to give them the proper pressure relief, but those who need a mattress for heavy people will probably need something thicker. This is because a larger person’s weight will cause them to sink in more than a lighter person might. Read our list of the best mattresses for heavy people to learn more about this
- Durability. Shoppers also want to know how long their memory foam mattress topper is going to last. Will it break and start to crack in the first month or will they be able to use it for years? A low-density memory foam mattress topper isn’t going to cost as much, but it might only be useful for a short amount of time, and a mattress topper with high-density memory foam might cost more, but it should last longer.
- Cooling features. As I mentioned a few times above, memory foam toppers are known for making sleepers heat up at night, so hot sleepers want to make sure that their memory foam mattress topper has some sort of cooling features such as a gel, copper, or graphite infusion. Some memory foam toppers are also ventilated which allows for more airflow.
In the end, one of these memory foam mattress toppers should be a great choice. Those who want more information about these toppers should read the individual reviews.