There’s little worse than an uncomfortable mattress. You wake up with back pain, you toss and turn at night…it’s no fun.
If you aren’t ready to buy a new mattress yet, you might be considering a mattress topper. As you start to research, you will see that many of the options are made of some kind of memory foam. Memory foam is a great material that can soften your mattress and add a slow, sinking feel to it.
Still, which memory foam mattress should you choose? There seem to be a thousand options. Well, I have tried many of the best memory foam mattress toppers on the market, and five really stand out.
Which one is right for you? Read on for my full memory foam mattress topper buying guide.
Best Pressure Relief
The ViscoSoft features fantastic pressure relief and should be a great match for side sleepers.
Best For Hot Sleepers
The Layla is a soft memory foam topper that features cooling agents to make sure you don't sleep too hot at night.
Best For Stomach Sleepers
The Saatva mattress topper is a comfortable yet supportive mattress topper that should be a great fit for side sleeping.
The Dreamfoam is a comfortable and affordable mattress topper that should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
The TEMPUR-Topper is a comfortable and supportive memory foam mattress topper. It features high-density memory foam and should be a good long-term investment.
Top Picks Explained
Read below for my top memory foam mattress topper picks. I chose these five because they should be a good fit for different types of sleepers. If you want more information on any of these toppers, make sure to read the individual reviews.
Best Pressure Relief
If your mattress is too firm, you probably aren’t getting the pressure relief you need. You could find it difficult to get comfortable, especially on your side.
For those of you who want to add some serious pressure relief to your mattress, the ViscoSoft is a great option. It features 3″ of high-density memory foam. Even if you are a larger person, you should press into the topper and feel little pressure on your shoulders and hips.
The ViscoSoft will also make a firm mattress a better fit for back sleeping. If you lie on your back on a firm mattress, you could feel like your hips aren’t sinking in far enough. This can cause lower back strain. The ViscoSoft will soften your mattress so that your hips sink in some more. At the same time, the memory foam will contour to the curves of your body.
Many memory foam mattress toppers can sleep hot. However, you shouldn’t have this problem with the ViscoSoft. The ViscoSoft’s memory foam is infused with a cooling gel and it is also ventilated. The bamboo/rayon cover is also cool to the touch.
Overall, if you want a very comfortable mattress topper to add pressure relief to your mattress, take a look at the ViscoSoft.
What Makes The ViscoSoft Stand Out?
- It contains a thick layer of soft, memory foam that should relieve pressure for side sleepers.
- The topper contours to your body and should be a good match for back sleepers.
- The topper should be a good choice for hot sleepers.
- It features four anchor straps to keep the topper secured to your mattress.
Read the full ViscoSoft mattress topper review
Best For Hot Sleepers
One of the main drawbacks of memory foam is that it sleeps hot. I have slept on a variety of memory foam mattresses and mattress toppers. I have often woken up, sweaty and clammy. The memory foam traps my body heat and directs it back at me, making for a very uncomfortable sleeping experience.
That’s why I’m such a big fan of the Layla mattress topper. It is the coolest sleeping memory foam mattress topper I have come across. The Layla’s memory foam is infused with copper gel beads. This material helps dissipate the heat trapped by the memory foam. Also, the Layla’s cover contains Thermogel, another cooling agent.
The Layla is also a particularly good choice for back and side sleepers. It features some great contouring, and it relieves pressure very well.
So, if you want the feeling of memory foam, but you worry about sleeping hot, the Layla should definitely work for you. You will slowly sink into the topper, but you should be sleeping quite cool.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- Thermogel and a copper infusion ensure the topper does not sleep too hot.
- The copper infusion is also antimicrobial so it should keep mildew and mold from building up in your topper.
- The Layla is a very comfortable option for back and side sleepers.
- The topper features four corner straps so that you can secure it to your mattress.
Read the full Layla mattress topper review
Best For Stomach Sleepers
Memory foam mattress toppers are often a good choice for back sleepers and side sleepers. So, what if you sleep on your stomach? Can you find a memory foam mattress topper that meets your needs?
The answer is yes. Out of the memory foam mattresses I have reviewed, the Saatva is the best for stomach sleepers. You should get the hip support you need when you are sleeping on the Saatva.
While most memory foam mattress toppers have just one layer, the Saatva features two. The top layer is graphite-infused memory foam, and there is a transition layer beneath that. You get the soft feeling of memory foam on top and the support of that transition layer beneath.
The Saatva is also a good match for back sleepers and side sleepers. When you are on your back, your hips will sink in just a bit, and the memory foam will take the shape of your body. When you are on your side, you should feel some more pressure relief on your shoulders and hips. Even heavier side sleepers should like the Saatva.
You also shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Saatva. The Saatva’s graphite infusion will help with heat dissipation so the memory foam won’t trap too much heat.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- It features a transition layer that adds some support to the comfortable topper.
- The topper should be a good match for all three sleeping positions.
- The memory foam is infused with graphite to help with cooling.
Read the full Saatva mattress review
When you are shopping for a mattress topper, your budget is always a consideration. Sure, if you’re made of money, you can spend $400 on a high-end mattress topper. However, if you’re like most of us, you don’t want to spend too much on a topper.
That’s why I like the Dreamfoam 2″ mattress topper. The Queen-size Dreamfoam sells for less than $70. That is a very good deal for such a comfortable mattress topper.
The Dreamfoam should be a good option for back sleepers whose mattress is too firm. The Dreamfoam also adds some contouring. Side sleepers should also get some added pressure relief.
This topper is also infused with a gel swirl. The gel should keep the topper from trapping too much heat.
So, if you want a comfortable memory foam mattress topper, but you don’t want to break the bank, take a look at the Dreamfoam.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Stand Out?
- The topper is sold for a very affordable price.
- The Dreamfoam softens your mattress, adding some extra contouring and pressure relief.
- The gel infusion should help dissipate heat trapped by the memory foam.
Read the full Dreamfoam mattress topper review
One issue with more budget-friendly mattress toppers is that they might not last too long. More affordable toppers often contain low-density memory foam. This material can be comfortable, but it will start to break down quickly.
If you are looking at your mattress topper purchase as more of an investment, the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is a great choice. It is not the most affordable mattress topper, but it is very durable and should stay comfortable for many years.
The topper features 3″ of TEMPUR material. It is a very soft memory foam and makes this one of the most comfortable mattress toppers that I have tried.
Back sleepers and side sleepers should very much enjoy the TEMPUR-Topper. The high-density memory foam will let your hips sink while it also contours to your body. Side sleepers, even those on the heavier side, should feel fantastic pressure relief on their shoulders and hips. Since the topper is so thick and high-density, you shouldn’t “bottom out.”
If you want a very comfortable memory foam mattress topper to use for a good amount of time, the TEMPUR-Topper should be right for you.
What Makes The TEMPUR-Topper Stand Out?
- It features high-density memory foam that is also very durable.
- Side sleepers should feel great pressure relief on the topper.
- The TEMPUR-Topper should offer the balance of comfort and support needed by back sleepers.
- You can remove the topper’s cover for easy cleaning at home.
Read the full TEMPUR-Topper review
What You Should Think About When Buying A Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Whether you decide to choose one of these five toppers or you want to keep shopping, there are a few things you should consider. Keep these points in mind, and it should be easy to find the right memory foam mattress topper for you!
- Your sleeping position. Finding the right topper will depend greatly on what position you sleep in. For instance, if you sleep primarily on your back, you want a mattress topper that is soft but not too soft. If it is too soft, you might not get the support you need. Side sleepers should look for a softer, thicker mattress topper that will provide the necessary pressure relief. Finally, stomach sleepers will want a mattress topper that barely softens their mattress.
- Your weight. Your size and weight will determine what thickness of topper you should be looking for. If you are a lighter side sleeper, a 2″ mattress topper could give you enough pressure relief. If you are on the heavier side, you will probably need something thicker. This is because your weight will cause you to sink in more than a lighter person might. You don’t want to be bottoming out on your mattress topper.
- Durability. You also want to know how long your memory foam mattress topper is going to last. Will it break and start to crack in the first month or will you be able to use it for years. You’ll want to find out the density of the memory foam. A low-density memory foam mattress topper isn’t going to cost you as much. However, it might only be useful for a short amount of time. A mattress topper with high-density memory foam might cost more, but it should last longer.
- Cooling features. As I mentioned a few times above, memory foam toppers are known for making sleepers heat up at night. If you are a hot sleeper, you want to make sure that your memory foam mattress topper has some sort of cooling features. Look for a mattress topper with a gel, copper, or graphite infusion. Some memory foam toppers are also ventilated which allows for more airflow. Just do your research, and you should know if the mattress topper will have you sleeping hot or cool.
In the end, one of these memory foam mattress toppers should be a great choice. If you want more information about these toppers, read the individual reviews. Also, leave a comment if you want a personal recommendation.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Bearaby Napper Weighted Blanket Review – Unique And Effective? - October 17, 2019
- Luna Weighted Blanket Review – Options Galore! - October 10, 2019
- Populum Full Spectrum Hemp Oil Review – Will It Help You Sleep? - September 27, 2019